Yesterday I went to my first OB appointment. When I got there however I was informed that Dr Looby had gotten called to a delivery and had to cancle our appointment. Even though I understand this happens (I've had to call her to a delivery myself) I was upset. With all this bleeding I just wanted to get some answers. I rescheduled my appointment for next Wednesday because I work the rest of the week. However last night I got canceled and didn't have to go into work (so excited!). So this morning I called to see if they had any last minute openings. They informed me that Dr Looby was home with her family; they all had the stomach flu. Great! I explained that I was having more bleeding and was just nervous. They had an opening Friday but I work Thursday night so it didn't work. I decided just to keep my appointment.
My mom and me went out for lunch today and when I got home I realized I had a message. It was Dr Looby's office. I called back and they said they would like to set up another ultrasound to check on the Subchorionic Bleed that was most likely absorbing and what was causing my bleeding. At this point I'm confused. What is that and why didn't I know I had this! I explained that no one had called me to inform me of the results of my ultrasound. The lady was suprised and apologized and explained what it was. This is what I looked up about it.
What it is: Also called subchorionic hematoma, subchorionic bleeding is the accumulation of blood within the folds of the chorion (the outer fetal membrane, next to the placenta) or within the layers of the placenta itself. These bleeds, or clots, can cause the placenta to separate from the uterine wall if they get too large, if they develop in a bad spot, or if they aren’t eventually reabsorbed.
How common is it? A good 20 percent of pregnant women will experience some kind of bleeding early in pregnancy, though it’s often hard to tell what’s causing the problem. Subchorionic hematomas are even harder to pick up because they don’t always result in noticeable spotting or bleeding, especially when they’re small.
Should you be concerned? You wouldn’t be normal if you didn’t worry when you see blood, no matter when it occurs in your pregnancy. And that’s actually a good thing, especially if it prompts you to get in touch with your practitioner, who can make sure there’s nothing amiss. While most subchorionic hematomas dissolve on their own, it is possible for the clot to get in between the placenta and the uterine wall, resulting in miscarriage.
Here’s the encouraging news: More than half of women who bleed during their first trimester go on to have perfectly healthy pregnancies. But because subchorionic hematomas have been linked to increased risk of placental abruption and preterm labor, you don’t want to ignore signs of spotting or bleeding.
The lady on the other end of the phone said that mine was small and will most likely be reabsorbed. I can't help but be nervous though. I will most likely be having an ultrasound Saturday or Monday. We are working on the scheduling. For now I'm on pelvic rest and shouldn't lift heavy objects (like my patients).
Please keep me and baby in your prayers. We are both nervous about this bleeding. Pray that God heals my placenta and keeps us both healthy!
No comments:
Post a Comment